Ministry of Education (MoE), Govt. of India has established ‘MoE’s Innovation Cell (MIC)’ to systematically foster the culture of Innovation amongst all Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). The primary mandate of MIC is to encourage, inspire and nurture young students by supporting them to work with new ideas and transform them into prototypes while they are informative years.
MIC has envisioned encouraging creation of ‘Institution’s Innovation Council (IICs)’ across selected HEIs. A network of these IICs will be established to promote innovation in the Institution through multitudinous modes leading to an innovation promotion eco-system in the campuses.
Major focus of IICTo create a vibrant local innovation ecosystem. Start-up supporting Mechanism in HEIs. Prepare institute for Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements Framework. Establish Function Ecosystem for Scouting Ideas and Pre-incubation of Ideas. Develop better Cognitive Ability for Technology Students.
Functions of IICs
- To conduct various innovation and entrepreneurship-related activities prescribed by Central MIC in time bound fashion.
- Identify and reward innovations and share success stories.
- Organize periodic workshops/ seminars/ interactions with entrepreneurs, investors, professionals and create a mentor pool for student innovators.
- Network with peers and national entrepreneurship development organizations.
- Create an Institution’s Innovation portal to highlight innovative projects carried out by institution’s faculty and students.
- Organize Hackathons, idea competition, mini challenges etc. with the involvement of industries.
IIC at SurTech:
Dr. Sudhir Chandra Sur Institute of Technology & Sports Complex initiated an incubation centre to encourage students in innovation, commercialization, and entrepreneurship. The aim of the incubation centre would be to assist technology business start-up in their early stage. Through incubation centre SurTech can provide the following service entrepreneur:
- Scrutinize the feasibility of the idea.
- Provide workspace and facilities.
- Provide technical support to implement the idea.
- Provide information regarding financial assistance from industry/ government agency.
- Provide support to commercialize the product.
- Provide business networking and alliance.
- Provide access to professional consultant and expert.
- Provide access to JIS group exhibition pavilion to display their innovation/product.
- SurTech may provide support in patent filing and patent searching through professional.